EKU Aviation Team Participates in Flugtag
The Millennial Falcon takes flight in Louisville!
EKU Aviation assistant professor Joe Marthaler and his student team are designing the aircraft for its August 27th launch at Red Bull Flugtag 2016. Team crew members are:
- Darth Vader (pusher) - AKA Michael Walach, EKU Assistant Professor and student of Aviation
- Han Solo (pusher) - AKA Eric Logan, senior professional flight
- Princess Leia (pilot) - AKA Rebecca Schmid, sophomore aviation management
- Luke Skywalker (pusher) - AKA Sam Cleary, junior professional flight
- Storm Trooper (pusher) - AKA Andrew Clark, sophomore professional flight
- Joe THE ORGANIZER! - AKA Joe Marthaler, EKU Aviation Chief Flight Instructor
Flugtag, or ‘flying day’ in German, was started by Red Bull in 1991 in Austria. Since then, more than 100 events have been held around the globe attracting up to 300,000 spectators for a single event. Teams design, build and pilot home-made flying machines from a 30-foot high flight deck and are judged on three criteria: flight distance, creativity of the craft, and showmanship.
Published on August 12, 2016